Mangalorean Cuisine - S.M Joshua's Recipe Book
1. Marinate fish with lemon juice and salt.
2. Make paste with turmeric powder, mustard powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, ginger, garlic paste, chilli powder; add water and ... in a bowl.
3. Heat oil, add 1 tsp. methi, 2 cloved and 2 green cardamom; then add cut onion, add masala paste, when boils add tomato paste. 1 cup thick curd- check sour, add fish in the end, bring it to boil.
Garnish with coriander and cut ginger.
Mango Sweet Pickle
Mango- 2 kg
Jaggery - 1/2 kg
Methi dana - 2 tsp
Rai dana - 100 gms
Garlic - 4 pods & 20 red chillies soaked in 1 cup vinegar; (grind in vinegar)
1. Heat oil, put cloves, cinnamon, curry leaves
2. Rai- Methi- paste- fry
3. Add Jaggery and Mango
1. Dry roast- 3 varieties of chillies
- Sankeswari - 400 gms
- Small red fiery chilli - 200 gms
- Resham patti (Madras chilli) - 400 gms
Total 1 kg chilli after cleaning it will be approximately 850 gms. Sundried for 2-3 days, broken in two and takeout seeds and roast separately.
2. Coriander seeds - 1 kg
3. Cumin seeds - 225 gms
4. whole tumeric sticks - 250 gms
5. Black pepper - 75 gms
6. Methi seeds - 50 gms
7. Mustard seeds - 325 gms
8. Curry leaves - 3 handful
9. Salt (Sea) - 150 gms
10. Garlic (crushed) - 250 gms; with the skin.
All ingredients roast (dry) separately. Then give for pounding. After that mix crushed garlic and mix it well and store in the fridge.
Onions - 2 large
Garlic - 4 pcs
Ginger - 1 inch
Clove, Cinnamon, Black Pepper
Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
1. Slice onions, fry them till well brown, lay aside.
2. Chop fine, ginger, garlic and grind them in mixer, then add cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, red chilly powder, turmeric, grind fine, add sugar & salt, vinegar & grind to fine paste
3. Stuff fish with this masala (Mackrel or Pomfret) & fry in a pan. Can make above paste & store in fridge.
4. For green masal stuffing substitute- red chilly powder with chopped green chilly & coriander leaves.
Special thanks to S.M. Joshua's family for granting us permission to share her recipes on our website.